Saturday, October 07, 2006

not quite loaves and fishes, but...

..so I'm in the culinary limbo between the emergency back from hols shopping and the arrival of the veggie box, and all I can remember being in the fridge is peppers. Five peppers. And some salad.

I was stumped, utterly for inspiration. Then suddenly, as if a miracle, I remembered two sweet potatoes. And in the freezer, aduki beans and tortillas... My freezer is a mod con I'd struggle to live without.

...so burritos it was then (after an emergency dash to the market for onions and garlic) Onions sauteed, along with sweet potatoes, peppers and garlic. 1.5 tsps smoked hot paprika, 0.5 tsp cinnamon added, plus tinned tomatoes. Simmered, for 20 minutes then rolled in tortillas with grated cheddar.

THEN in the greatest act of self control known to this human - baked in the oven for 20 minutes. Yum! I do think that the best recipes are those that come to you when you think you have nothing in the house.

(and that really, there's never nothing in the house....)
Who Links Here