Monday, September 11, 2006

books etc

So I took your inspired book selections and righteously - ie no buying, but reusing - attacked the library. So far.....

rachie - I LOVED The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, much more than I thought I would. I found it really engaging and can't wait to read some of her others. The Temple of Optimism by James Fleming - I gave up on that I'm afraid and What a Carve Up by Jonathan Coe is still on the to read list.

rhea - The Power of One - Bryce Courtney is STILL on order at the library. May have to buy a copy.

felicity - I LOVED the Time Travellers Wife. Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre still on order...

daisy - Elizabeth McCracken - the Giants House - OH MY GOD I loved this. Read it. All of you. Go on - get to it..... step away from the blog....... Very Ann Patchett like - a good thing.

Sue Grafton A is for Alibi - fantastic - will be working my way through the rest. Phil Whitaker - Eclipse of the Sun, and Glenn Savan White Palace and Goldman's Anatomy

lilwatchergirl - loved Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. The Hearing Trumpet by Leonora Carrington - on order.

In my recreational reading - I got to the end of The History of Love by Nicole Krauss was good - though not as novel - geddit* - as it could have been. I have just finished The Red Thumb Mark by R Austin Freeman - a Conan Doyle esque novel - which was great in a romping British kind of way. Distinctly pre feminism though - lots of glorious rants about looking after women which I am choosing to find funny. After all - it was written in 1907.

Oh and no more Amazon links. I am in a big grump with them.....

*sorry....
Who Links Here