Monday, June 12, 2006

more haste...

...less speed. Rose Elliott's recipe for Greek butter beans appears to be such a quick recipe - and indeed is quick - until you get almost to the end of the recipe and discover you have no lemon juice...

There are only about six ingredients, so the lack of lemon juice is something of a deal breaker.

I went to Waitrose and of course nothing I needed was anywhere I could reach it. The staff are very helpful, but I so didn't feel like tracking someone down and asking them. I did it anyway, as I really wanted the butter beans (made from dried - no cans and less salt and sugar. I need to feel smug as the organisation involved in the soaking etc is rather taxing for a brain like mine....)

Some days its easier to ask strangers for help than others. I have a theory - you can only ask for help a certain number of times a day. If you have a new assistant - as I do at present - you have to ask for more and more help and so you are more likely to run out of times in the day...

I also think that its a matter of practice. One in every few times you ask for help it does go wrong; the person takes umbrage, or uses you request as a reason to ask lots of impertinent questions. But then the next time it all goes well, and yay! Confidence restored.
Who Links Here