Monday, May 01, 2006

what in the world would you do this time?

So here's a trickier one - and one I'm less sure about. A few weeks ago, The Doctor and I went to see Hayseed Dixie. A fine blend of bluegrass and heavy metal (yes really) and well worth a listen. Even if you don't like bluegrass and heavy metal. Perhaps particularly in that case.

Now I'm a wheelchair user, which makes me fairly noticeable, and my wheelchair elevates, like this. Excellent for all sorts of social and work activities, and for blocking the view of others at gigs. Fortunately the novelty of doing this has worn off now, so I now go to the back and slurp my beer while bobbing enthusiastically along to the band. Beer is a key element of all the gigs I go to, so the muppet quotient is usually high, and people also stumble over my crotch height leg rests while too drunk to know better which creates some marvellously surprised looks. This night was no different - I'm sitting there with The Doctor and this genius comes up to me and says;

"Are you disabled?"

Readers - I was speechless. Which never happens. I didn't know what he expected of me - volleys of swearing are not my thing, but the music was deafening and I couldn't be bothered to reason with him - plus he wouldn't have heard me.

So I ignored him. Genuinely because I thought he might think that I hadn't heard him and that we may all end up at the end of the experience with our dignity intact.

But no, he started trying to tell The Doctor about his hat. So The Doctor ignored him. If I had to guess, I'd imagine it was a story about how he got the had from a friend who was disabled, and that he was just trying to make my day. From past experience this is, when I was more tolerant/friendly.

It was a really unpleasant moment. If he'd been standing near us and said 'great gig' or something - I'd have chatted away. But why did he think I'd think he was funny? He clearly, from his body language and facial expression expected me to laugh. So what do you think I should have done.

Sound of readers all running away from the nasty person....

Oh and hilariously, our dentist was at the gig too. What with seeing him dance to Hayseed Dixie, and him looking and acting a little like Basil Fawlty, we'll never leave him. I had an orthodontist that looked and acted like Alan B'Stard once, and never went back to him.....
Who Links Here