Friday, July 15, 2005

Better late than never....

..I've found it hard to generate ideas since the bombings last Thursday, and some of my ideas will take a bit more formulation.

Fortunately a few weeks ago I was tagged by the Mighty ZC with a book meme. And as I love talking about books - here goes!

How many books do I own?

Loads. Too many, some might say. Not quite enough, according to me.

What was the last book I bought?

The last books I bought were presents - Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and two Gruffalo books - both of which were well recieved. I did like Cloud Atlas although I didn't love it - I believe his other books are better.

What was the last book I read?

Mr Starlight by Laurie Graham. Its a light book but really well written - very tight - and so funny it should come with spare pants.

What five books mean a lot to me?

Five? FIVE? Are you kidding me? I can't keep it to five.....

Breathing Lessons - Anne Tyler

I love this book because it was one of the first books of its type that I read, and I love the way she makes a whole book out of a twenty four hour period. I find the detail of life utterly fascinating - does this sound like blogging at all? - and so this book is precious to me for that reason.

Unless - Carol Shields

Actually - any book by Carol Shields, frankly. I like this one for similar reasons to the one above, because of the way emotions are described. The book is about the nature of goodness and what it means to be good - an issue which exercises the back part of my brain quite regularly...

Tales of the City - and the other books in the series - Armistead Maupin

I can't remember who introduced me to these books, but I'd really like to thank them. I like the three best, but they are all good and the overall story works really well.

Falling Angels - Tracy Chevalier

I don't normally like historical fiction, but this is told in the voices of four women - two adults, two children, about the suffragette movement. Its told in the form of a diary and manages to show the context and the events in a very gentle and endearing way.

Purple Hibiscus - Chimamamda Ngozi Adichie

This is a very recent book which tells of a young black woman growing up in Nigeria at the end of colonialism. Really moving stuff.

Now who'd like to give this a go who hasn't had it already? I'm thinking felicity, Doris, Deirdre....?
Who Links Here