Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Penance required....

Readers, I have sinned, and penance suggestions may be required.

I had a bit of free time unexpectedly yesterday, so pottered about Birdyville market to get some fruit and veg and so on. It was raining, so I wasn’t in the best of moods when I approached the vegetable stall. There were three choices - Spanish asparagus, British glasshouse asparagus, and British outdoor grown traditionally. The Spanish was by far the cheapest, although not cheap, and the others proportionally more expensive.

So I bought the Spanish. I know it will have flown here, but the others weren't local - ie had come by lorry. And in Spain the workers conditions will have been fine. Not good, necessarily, but fine. And buying from the market is better than using a supermarket.

But I still feel bad about it. Not least because the asparagus wasn't actually very good....

Who Links Here