Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Inside I'm furious....

I don't believe in censorship, but I do believe in boycotts, and I'm asking you all very nicely not to go and see 'Inside I'm Dancing'. It may show a realistic impression of independent living (although I doubt it, as the director/writer knows very little about disability) but neither of the two main disabled characters are actually played by disabled people. I wish I could find the statistics for adults with CP and MD (the impairments in question) but I simply cannot believe (as claimed by the director/producer/writer) that there were NO youngish men with the impairments in question who could have played the role. Or someone else with another similar disability. To me, with the numbers of disabled actors out of work, using non-disabled actors for these roles is criminal, and equivalent to white actors 'blacking up' to play roles which are for black people. I wish I knew who to write to to complain and welcome all ideas....
Who Links Here